We’re Here To Fight For Your Recovery After A Motorcycle Crash
Motorcycles give riders the freedom to roam and a sense of exhilaration, but with that comes an increased level of danger and responsibility. Wearing protective gear, riding sober, having a motorcycle license and being visible to others can help you avoid accidents and injury. However, should you or a loved one be injured in a motorcycle accident, an experienced attorney can help you evaluate your legal options for recovering damages from those at fault for the accident.
Below are answers to frequently asked questions about motorcycle accidents and the law.
What are the primary causes of motorcycle crashes?
A failure to yield the right of way and speeding are two major causes of motorcycle crashes. Other factors include:
- Rider age
- Traffic patterns
- Alcohol and drug use
- Lack of license or experience
- Reckless riding
How do I avoid accidents while riding a motorcycle?
The best way to avoid accidents is to ride defensively. Assume cars, trucks and other vehicles cannot see you, and take other steps to avoid accidents:
- Wear a DOT-approved helmet and safety gear
- Be visible
- Ride sober
- Take a motorcycle safety class
- Obtain a motorcycle license or endorsement
Who is financially responsible for my injuries?
In Washington State, the individual determined to have caused the accident (the person “at fault”) can be held liable for your injuries and damages.
What should I do after I am involved in a motorcycle accident?
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident, it is important you take the following steps:
- Call emergency services
- Take photos of the scene, including your injuries, damages to your bike and other involved vehicles
- Talk with witnesses, and get their contact information so your attorney can follow-up accordingly.
- Write down a detailed description of the accident, including what happened before and after the accident
- File a report with police to document the accident
- Ask for additional information to fully document your case, including your full medical records related to the accident
- Keep all documents related to the accident
- Talk with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney to discuss the details of your case and possible recoverable damages
Why should I contact a motorcycle accident lawyer?
An experienced motorcycle accident lawyer can help you determine whether you have a case to pursue and, if you do, the best options for recovering damages from others responsible for the accident.
What laws protect motorcycle riders in Washington State?
The basic laws in Washington State dictate that:
- You must have a motorcycle endorsement to legally ride.
- You must wear a helmet and eye protection (unless the motorcycle has a windscreen).
- You must carry liability insurance coverage and be able to provide proof of that insurance.
How can PCVA help if you are injured in a motorcycle crash?
PCVA’s experienced attorneys can help you understand your options for pursuing compensation and damages from those responsible for the accident. If you would like to speak with a PCVA lawyer, complete our intake form or call us at (253) 948-3199 or (206) 536-2850.
How much does PCVA charge?
Our work is done on a contingency basis. This means we only get paid if you win.