1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Sexual Abuse Survivors
  4.  | Group Home Sexual Abuse

Group Home Abuses

Adults with disabilities and children with serious behavioral challenges often receive assistive and educational services from group homes and boarding schools; these homes and schools are often monitored by state agencies. Families count on these facilities to care for and protect their loved ones, while allowing them some sense of independence. If caregivers or staff neglect or abuse residents or students, the organization – and the state agencies that monitor them – should be held accountable.

At Pfau Cochran Vertetis Amala PLLC, we specialize in protecting and advocating for those who were hurt by abuse or accidents that occurred because of negligence.

Potential Abuse At Group Homes

Some examples of abuse that can happen in group homes include:

  • Neglect, leading to bedsores and infections
  • Lack of supervision and accidental injuries, including falls and burns
  • Medication errors or delayed or insufficient medical treatment
  • Verbal and emotional abuse, which can result in withdrawal and depression
  • Physical abuse, such as unnecessary restraints, slapping, hitting and pushing
  • Sexual abuse, including rape

How PCVA Can Help

The state is required to monitor group home service providers and it is their responsibility to ensure that those it contracts with are providing a safe and secure environment. If you are concerned they are not fulfilling that responsibility or are unresponsive to concerns being raised, attorneys at PCVA may be able to help. Our nationally recognized attorneys have represented residents and their families against bad operators, time and time again, and won. In doing so, we have obtained significant monetary awards that have allowed our clients to better provide for themselves in the future, shut down abusive facilities and forced the state to do better.

If you are concerned about the care your loved one is receiving in a state-monitored group home or boarding school, speak to a lawyer for free by completing our online form or calling us at (253) 777-0799 or (206) 462-4334. PCVA’s highly skilled litigators can help you evaluate the situation and understand your options.